Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Earthquake

Sometimes life hands you a lemon. And sometimes life is just a series of earthquakes, some small, some large, and then you finally get that last one that just shakes your entire world, your life, and even your very sense of self.
I just had that last earthquake... the one that shakes my very sense of self. And I need to talk about it, need to figure out how to solve the problem.
They tell me there is no cure. They tell me that I just have to learn to live with it. I am 61 years old. I have always been very comfortable with just who I am - a little different from everyone else, a little volatile at times, but a good person with good ideas. I'm successful in my field - I hold a doctorate. I have been married for more than half my life, although not to the same person. I have kids who love me, admire me and look up to me as a role model. I've always thought of myself as strong. I've always thought of myself as different, but normal. Unique. That was a good word. Unique.
And now I find out that I am someone totally different from who I thought I was.
My world has been shaken.
I have found that I am bi-polar... and now I need to evaluate my entire life to understand the past, the present, to plan for the future, and to know who I am and more importantly, HOW I am who I am.
So this blog will chronicle that journey.
Feel free to join me as I find my answers, make my decisions, and carry on with my life.

3 comments:

  1. You can only start from where you are currently parked......tough row to hoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great, continue the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you see what it is like to be on and off meds, how do you feel about your diagnosis? You are a remarkable person.

    ReplyDelete